Thursday, September 24, 2009

Oh Canada.

My Gramy Jamison a.k.a Gramy Piller, my fathers mother, who lives in Canada, was turning the big 80! In the spirit of surprise we decided to make the trip to my hometown of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada to be with her. It was the perfect opportunity to show my hubby, Eric, where I was born and raised.

The flight was long. Seven hours from Honolulu departing at 11 pm to L.A. arriving at 3 am. We ran to our connecting flight and were told by one of the bitchiest ticketing agents ever, that we and our bags would NEVER make our next plane. We tried anyway and, lo and behold, we made it with time to spare. The flight from L.A. to Toronto was five hours. Pearce, as always, was a dream to travel with. We were dreading the effects of no sleep and jet lag with a 3-yr-old, but, surprisingly, we were ready for the day, arriving in Toronto Thursday, Sept. 25th, at noon.

We met up with my brother Grant and his wife Amy at the Grande Hotel in downtown Toronto. We walked around......

This little cobble-stoned village was lined with dozens of cute little shops and restaurants.

At the chocolate boutique Pearce inhales chocolate truffles. This is the face of a sugar rush in progress.

Pearce Climbing the CN Tower.

On Deck of the CN Tower. Eric steps on the glass floor looking down on Toronto.

Pearce standing on the glass floor.

Looking over one side of Toronto.

Amy, Grant and Eric.

Wendi, Pearce holding Eli and Eric.

Wendi and Amy.

Eric looking over Lake Ontario.

Wendi on the ground taking a picture of ...

Grant and Amy in front of the CN Tower.

And Amy did the same for us.

We stopped by the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Dinner at -------with Amy and Grant.

Eric, Pearce and Wendi.

Good food.

Later, dessert at this bakery. They had the best Pecan Pie Tarts.

Eric and Grant surprised us with tickets to Cirque du Soleil. It was awesome. Pearce and Eric were in heaven. Grant, Amy holding Pearce, Wendi and Eric.

The next day was Saturday. We were just now starting to feel the jet lag, and so it was a slow morning. We packed up and headed to mine and Grant's hometown of Kitchener. I left Kitchener when I was 19 and was returning now at age 33. The flood of memories that returned was amazing. To add to my nostalgia, our first stop was to visit my childhood friend Elaine and her family. They made us feel right at home, catching up over a generous spread they prepared for lunch. A couple of hours went by fast and we had to check into our hotel and get ready for my Gramy's surprise 80th birthday party that my Dad had been planning all year long. We arrived to see my Aunt Diane, Uncle Ed, my Dad's sister and brother, along with my cousins, Jody and Andrew and their families, and some close friends of my Gramy's. It was, again, a thrill to catch up with everyone.

Gramy cutting her birthday cake, with her daughter Diane.

Grant and Amy.

Pearce.

Wendi, Gramy, Pearce and Eric.

The next day was Sunday and we all went to church with my Gramy. This was the ward I grew up in. It still had faces I recognized.

Wendi and Elaine.

After church, Grant and I took Amy, Eric and Pearce on a tour of Kitchener.

St. Mary's Hospital is where Grant and I were born.

Our middle school. Wendi and Grant.

My high school. Grant left Kitchener when he was 13. I graduated a year early with the class before mine and never kept in close contact with school friends. It would be fun to see what everyone is doing now.

This is the house we grew up in.

Our basketball hoop that my Dad put up when I was in eighth grade. I spent hours and hours shooting at that hoop. And Grant can now touch the rim.

The back of our house.

Pearce, Wendi and Eric at the entrance of the forest behind the backyard of our childhood house. My brother and I spent countless hours playing in this forest.

Grant and Amy.



I loved watching the seasons change.

Pearce

The rest of the afternoon we spent with Gramy and Don at their apartment in downtown Kitchener. We looked thru all of Gramy's photo albums while she made us Eclairs and a pecan pie to go. Our Gramy is the best baker! For dinner we all met up at my Dad's friend's Chinese restaurant in St. Jacobs.

My Gramy wore pants! I have never seen her wear pants. She said she thought she would try it now that she was 80 years old.




0 comments: