Saturday, February 27, 2010

A day of surprises.

Eric and I have been working hard trying to get pregnant for about a year. The day before our ski trip to Utah, I took a pregnancy test but it came back negative. Throughout the two weeks, the thought that I was pregnant was still lingering in the back of my mind for two reasons; my body started to feel a little different and my emotions were stronger than normal. I decided that maybe the test was wrong. As we flew back to Hawaii my mind was filled with the excitement that I could very well be pregnant, until the flight crew announced that a Tsunami was headed for Hawaii just as we would be landing and that the Oahu's shores and lowlands had been evacuated since 3am. No kidding. That was all the information they offered. The plane landed in Hawaii about 11am with us wondering what would await. All other flights were canceled except for incoming traffic, which wasn't much. It was an eerie feeling to walk thru an empty airport. As we collected our luggage an airport attendant informed us that the tsunami was about to hit and because the airport was located in a flood zone, there would be no taxis or transportation services. Once again, this was all the information that was given. Comforting news. This wouldn't have been an issue because usually we park our vehicle at the airport, but this time we left it at Eric's work, so that a co-worker could drop us off at the airport (which is only a few miles from Eric's work). Thanks, Val, by the way. So we had no way of leaving the flood zoned airport, with a tsunami approaching at any minute. We took our luggage out to the curb to find two other cars waiting to pick up family members from arriving flights. So Eric did the most logical thing, he hitchhiked. While we waited for Eric to come back, the first roll of tsunami "force" hit Hawaii's shores--a measly wave of only three feet. Thank goodness! We found out later that the fact that the tsunami was only 3 feet was common knowledge throughout the island, but the airport didn't think it was important to share this tidbit with arrivals. Anyway, our ride home was just as eerie with the roads and highways empty. As we approach Makakilo, which sits on the foothills overlooking Kapolei, the streets were packed with families camped out on every inch of public space availible. This is one of the reasons we pick a house in Makakilo. Up high far from any tsunamis. I'm only kind of kidding.


As soon as we pulled up to the curb, I was in the bathroom. I took two pregnancy tests and both came out positive. Yea! I made an appointment with my OB who confirmed I was pregnant. And with only one fetus. My Gramy is a twin and her mother was a twin, and that scares me to death. The ultrasound confirmed my due date: October 23, 2010.

The boys were so excited and convinced the baby was going to be a boy! Eric was on cloud nine. And all I could think about was what I had eaten for the last two weeks while snow skiing, Snickers and hot chocolate. What a nutritious start for a growing fetus.

3 comments:

Charmaine said...

Congratulations on the new baby! And I'm glad to hear the tsunami didn't get you! :)

Noelle said...

Man, we've been forever trying too this past year and still no luck.
:( I was hoping we didn't have to try so hard... I'm hoping to be surprised just like when we found out about Elle. I'm super excited for you guys! Miss Phillips will definitely be a gorgeous little daddy's girl and very well protected by her big brothers. Please keep us posted! We miss you guys and can't wait to meet the newest member of the Phillips ohana.

Kari said...

I loved reading your "I'm pregnant" story! So fun! Can't believe all the Tsunami scares! Holy cow! So glad you guys are okay though! Hey just thought I'd tell you that your little one will have another cousin to play with in February 2011! We told everyone this past weekend at Grandpa Taylor's 80th party. We missed you guys! Love ya!!