Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The day after Emry was born

This is what happens when you get behind on your blog. Events go missing. Like the day after Emry was born. This was an emotional day for me.

First, my body was still undergoing consistent labor contractions. By "consistent," I mean every five minutes from the time I delivered Emry until about 48 hours after. Apparently, my body still believed there was another baby to come. Glad it was wrong. How do we women forget that these type of things happen when we have babies? I guess the human race would stop if we all had perfect recollection of the experience.

Anyway...

Second, Emry had to have an ECHO Transthoracic (2D); complete with spectral and color flow dopper. This was because Dr. Loui, Emry's pediatrician, heard a murmur during the nursery examination.

Third, while I awaited for the Echo results, I got a call from my parents who just landed in Arizona, who had spent the last 15 day on a Safari trip in Kenya. My Mom, who was meant to come to Hawaii and help me with the baby, explained that my Dad had been suffering severe headaches during their entire trip and he had dry heaved for the last 22 hour of their flight, and she was taking him to St. Joseph Emergency. An hour later my Mom calls to tell me that my Dad was just prepped for brain surgery with Dr. Peter Nakaji . My Dad's CT and MRI test showed that he had been suffering from an Acute Subdural Hematoma (major trauma and bleeding in his brain) for the entire time in Kenya and he was going into a deep sleep, which would kill him if not addressed. The fluids had pushed his brain over to one side which made him critical for emergency brain surgery. The doctors were amazed he was still alive. This is when the tears started to roll. I called my brother Grant who lives in Utah, and discussed the news. Just two months ago my brother and his wife sat by the crib of their first baby, who was born a month prematurely, and was hospitalized for several weeks until his lungs grew. Grant and his wife Amy immediately left to catch the first flight to Arizona. But I was worried about my Mom being alone at the hospital so I called Harry to ask him if he could go sit with her, but he sadly explained he could not because he was dressing his daughter's mother at the funeral home. Instantly my thoughts went to Tiffany, then to Connor, and I wondered how he was coping, and the tears came again. So I called my mother in-law Jane, and without hesitation she went to sit with my Mom until my brother arrived. Oh, the relief that someone I loved and trusted would be with her.

Still dealing with labor pains, I tried to breastfeed Emry, wishing this was a happier day, and feeling helplessness for my family. Emry's pediatrician then came back with the ECHO exam which showed her to have 3 heart defects:

A normal healthy heart to compare.


1. Muscular interventricular septal defect with a left-to-right shunt. (VSD) The most serious out of the three.


1. shows where the VSD occurs.

  • the Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) usually occurs in the membranous (perimembranous) (70%) rather than muscular interventricular septum, and is more frequent in males that females.
  • Perimembranous defects are located close to the aortic and tricuspid valves and adjacent to atrioventricular conduction bundle.
  • The defect allows left-right shunting of blood, this shunting depends upon the size of the defect. Small defects may close spontaneously, larger defects result in infant congestive heart failure.
  • Clinically repaired by coils or tissue-adapted devices like muscular or perimembranous occluders.

2.
Tiny patent ductus arteriosus with a left-to-right shunt. (PDA) Common in a new born.


1. shows where PDA occurs.


  • Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) occurs commonly in preterm infants, can close spontaneously (by day three in 60% of normal term neonates) the remainder are ligated simply and with little risk.
  • The operation is always recommended even in the absence of cardiac failure and can often be deferred until early childhood.

3. Patent foramen ovale with a left-to-right shunt. (PFO) Common in a new born.


1. shows where PFO occurs.

And the tears came again. Dr. Loui explained that the Cardiologist wouldn't look at the echo in detail until Monday and we would have to wait for his diagnosis, but the lab technician who processed Emry's echo mentioned that her defects didn't look too serious. Good news! Finally some good news... unofficially, but still good news. Oh the relief...

My Mom then called the next day to report that the surgery went well and my Dad was recovering in the ICU. I called my Dad a day later, who was cracking jokes the whole time. Oh the relief...

A few days later, at the pediatricians office, Dr. Loui explained that the Cardiologists didn't think Emry was in any danger, meaning her heart should heal itself, and that she would only need a routine follow up with him in three months. And so, three months later, I took Emry to see the Cardiologist and he decide he wouldn't need to see her again until she was two years old.
Oh the relief...

My Dad spent 5 days in the ICU. He came away with 72 staples in his skull. A few weeks later, due to fluids building up faster than his body could absorb, he spent 2 more days in the ICU after surgeons reopened his skull and drained the fluid. He was fine for a couple of weeks and then was readmitted into the ICU to drain the fluid from his brain again. The doctor concluded that if the fluid persisted they would have to re-due the surgery, which was risky. But the fluid never came back and my Dad started to feel good enough to work out again at the gym. He pushed himself a little to hard one day and had a stroke. Thankfully, no serious damage was done, but it scared my Dad into a slower recovery. He is now in perfect health. Thank God. I couldn't imagine life without my Dad.

Oh the relief...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow wendi! those are a lot to deal with. i am glad things got better with time! i was born with VSD. they did surgery when i was 3 years old. i have a residual VSD but am healthy.

Amber said...

glad to hear that despite all the close calls that everyone is okay!

karen said...

Wow, Wendi, that was sure a lot to go through. I am glad that things have turned out well. I can't imagine ..... what great blessings.

Unknown said...

So glad you've had a chance to write down the details and so very valuable later. Now I better understand Emry's heart defect. Kelsey's was an ASD and, as you know, we had to wait until she was 2 for the surgery...by then the hole was the size of a quarter. Emry's won't be that way, right! Great job, once again.
Loves!

Heather B said...

Oh my goodness, that is all a whole bunch of SCARINESS!! I love Dr. Loui. And I am SO glad that your dad turned out okay after all that. And that Emry's heart should be okay. That must have been so scary for you to take in all at once!