Saturday, May 30, 2009

Foodies

We wanted to try a new restaurant and we wanted noodles, so I checked out the Honolulu restaurant guide. I found a little Japanese restaurant called Matsugen that caught my eye. Their object of desire is Soba. And as restaurants in Japan, Matsugen also grinds its own buckwheat flour, meaning fresh noodles made everyday. Matsugen boasts about pairing seemingly simple noodles with Shingo Shibano crafting steaming hot Soba or Mori Soba, noodles served cold with dashi-mirinshoyu sauce, some wasabi and sliced green onions. The menu also offers Udon and Izakaya dishes, from poke to top-grade meat cooked on a hot rock.

When our Japanese buckwheat noodles were served, Pearce beamed, "I am all for this." Yeah, one more thing to add to his foodies list. Pearce also noticed that when eating hot dishes, a wooden spoon was much better than a metal spoon, "no hot lips" he declared.



O
ur love affair with Japanese buckwheat noodles ended when our bowls where empty, but we were still hungry. Yes, we admit we have a good old American appetite and these noodles just felt more like an appetizer than dinner. I wish Matsugen served sushi, that would have filled in our hunger hole. Until Matsugen does, this probably will be our first and last time dining with them. Nothings worse than leaving a restaurant hungry.

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Sounds yummy! Elle LOVES noodles and soup. We are always looking for new places to eat. I think I'll look into this one! :)

Triumph and Roxxi said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I hate paying good money for food and then leaving just to eat when you get home too.
I am with ya on the Sushi too. Yummy!!!
I am still sad I missed you last visit. Let me know when you are gonna be back.

Heather B said...

Pearce says the funniest things EVER! I love it!

HeatherB said...

Mmm yummy. He reminds me of Grace. That girl loves "exotic" foods. Your adventures always make me miss Hawaii. Dan graduates in two more years and we are still seriously considering coming back. The kayaking trip sounds amazing!

Amy Piller said...

How was Pearce's bday?