Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bat Trang Village

There are over 3,ooo craft villages in Vietnam. One village that is famous for ceramics and pottery is Bat Trang. Saturday we ventured over the long dusty narrow roads that follow the Red River, to the small village by taxi. It was just too long, hot and dusty to carry a baby by motorcycle...for us. Those conditions didn't stop the locals. I did feel a tad of wimpiness come over me. But that quickly passed when I saw several motorbikes almost run over by trucks that took up the entire road.


On arriving to Bat Trang, Eric remarked how much larger the village had become and how there was more mass produced items than the last time he visited.


The parking lot in Bat Trang village.

Bat Trang produces items to sell on both the local market and abroad. We strolled around the village's small streets and alleyways watching and learning how an experienced artisans daily life goes.

This man is teaching us how to mold the clay with a turn board by peddling with his foot.


Next we watched the painters brush over each pot with precision, with thousands of pots waiting in the wings. Unsteady hand's need not apply. We skipped over the kiln tour. It was already too bloody hot.


Pearce got a chance to try painting a dish all on his own, along with the other ambitious sightseers.


Pearce posing with his master piece.



Pearce had decided that his artisans mark would be only painting the inner center and no where else. We tried to help him paint the sides or the back but he was adamant about only painting the inside 11 coats of colors.


After working up a painter's sweat, we stopped for a bean flavored ice cream. Yum? Not really.


One way to transport breakable items. Check out the plates that sit between the drivers legs.

Overall we had an interactive day. But in the end we came home with nothing. I am such a careful buyer. And if it doesn't emotionally sing to me I just can't buy it. And nothing sang.

2 comments:

mom said...

Funny....i've been looking through lots of books for ideas in what I want to create with my clay. Gosh! I should of been there with you guys!!!! Sweat and more sweat I would of been there until they kicked me out! "chuckle"

hugs

momP

Chelsey said...

You guys look like you're having a ton of fun. Pearce is so adorable! Our blog is private so just email me at chelsey.adams@gmail.com so I can set it up.